Saturday 21 May 2016

The Little Mermaid is Not So Little

I've been hunkered over my sewing machines for oh, what--two months?, sewing for StoryBook Theatre's production of Disney's "The Little Mermaid". And, friends, I am totally exhausted. What a mammoth undertaking! Magz told me it would be a lot of work, I believed it would be a lot of work; but, just like parenthood, I had no idea just HOW MUCH work it would be. 

Let me tell you, I have never sewn so much in my entire life. I have never learned so much about sewing in my entire life. When Magz asked me if I would assist her, with my girl, Kim, on this juggernaut, I knew it was the opportunity of a lifetime. I would be getting a master class in costuming. And, brother, IT WAS. I am blown away with the creativity, effort, dedication, and skill that it takes to be a costume designer. To think of beautiful and unique designs for iconic characters and to bring them to life, with the hard work of a team of like minded sewers--it's just unbelievable. I am NOT a costume designer. I am a sewer, and a much better one for this effort!

I have a knot the size of a softball in my shoulders. I haven't had a decent night sleep in a month. My nerves are frayed like a cord in a dog's mouth. My family has missed me, and I've missed them.

And I wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

Thank you, Magz Ross, for everything. All you have to do is call; and I'll be there, yes, I will. I love and admire you very much. Thank you, StoryBook, for giving me a shot. I hope I didn't let you down.

And I booked my next audition! More about that later...Back to full on, devoted attention to South Pacific!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment