Monday 24 August 2015

CATs, audition classes, and Always Trusting Jamie

It was a big, fat theatre weekend for me! The incomparable Magz Ross asked me to be her guest to the Calgary community theatre awards after our friend (and wicked seamstress) Kim Johnson, couldn't make it. They were nominated, along with many great friends, for their work on Anything Goes. As I predicted, AG cleaned up, bringing home a whopping 8 awards! I was a very proud member of Team Eastgaard-Ross that night! The only down side was my outfit. Tights were cutting into my thighs, my feet hurt from wearing fancy shoes (not to mention that I couldn't make it off the carpet with heels on), and I felt worried that my skirt was too short. It's a whole lotta Shan that I don't want to show off. I vote that next year's awards have a yoga pants theme.

Earlier the same day, I got the pleasure of joining an auditioning class run by Front Row Centre; and it was awesome! I got to read my very first monologue, IN FRONT OF PEOPLE! And I VOLUNTEERED to go first! (Who is this crazy woman, and what has she done with me? Or, was I just hiding?) The wonderful Lindsay Kurtze is our instructor, and she reminds me so much of my beloved voice teacher, Karin Asselstine. Damn, I miss you, Teacher! Anyway, Lindsay said I did ok with the acting! Not bad for my first attempt ever. Thank you to everyone for holding my hand. I, like Ebenezer Scrooge, know that I don't know anything.

"I don't know anything
I never did know anything
But now I know that I don't know
Upon this Christmas morning!"

(Yes, I love the version of A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim. No, I am not sorry for Christmas movie quotes in August. No, that does not make it my fault that it snowed here on August 20.)

I do feel a bit sad that I wasted all these years in fear. I know that there isn't any point in it, but sometimes I do wish I had been different. I just have to go for it now, and make up for the time lost. Jamie picked a few excellent songs for me to choose from for the audition, including "our song", Wig In The Box from Hedwig and the Angry Inch. We listened to that as I did his makeup for each show during the run of Jesus Christ Superstar, and I holds such a special place in my heart. And at least I know what an 8-track is (look at me, using musical theatre jokes!)!

I love this all so much. I am a lucky woman to be able to have my family and live this dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment