Wednesday 8 July 2015

When the "Makeup Artist" meets the Costumers

I love makeup. I am usually far too tired or lazy to wear it myself, but I love painting on people. I love learning how to do special effects makeup--it's exhilarating to create something with creams and colour that takes actor to character. Wanna know what else is just as fabulous? COSTUMING!!! 

I have loved to sew since I was a kid in Home Economics. Having my daughter reignited my love, since I could whip up gorgeous, frilly little dresses to my heart's content. So, when I joined the JCS production team, I introduced myself to the costume designer (the lovely Christine with a C Brown, who also design clothes for gee own label, Gaia Chan, whose link I will also put up as soon as I learn how!). Since community theatre is all about helping out wherever you can with whatever you can, it brings a better show to the people if you roll up your sleeves and pitch in. Lovely Christine let me help her; and thanks to her, I got to sew tear away trousers for the handsome DS! Together, she and I created a damn hot looking cast, if I must say so myself! I do believe I have a real future in stripper clothing, too, so a real career booster.

What I found in helping sew costumes was:

1) I know nothing about sewing, compared to Costumers, and,
2) I will sew until I am the Hunchback of Calgary if given the chance.

So, my theatre life is full of fun, new experiences, and a metric tonne of learning. I don't care that I KNOW NOTHING. I feel like a sponge, happy to sop up all the knowledge I can from these incredibly talented folks. I hope everyone finds something to do that they love as much. It has made me a happier person, and a better wife and mother. The thing is, we've created an impossible standard for parents to live up to, and so are ending up with exhausted, frustrated people with nothing they do "just for themselves." I don't want my daughter to learn that example. I want her to live life; and participate in all the activities she can, including parenthood, if she chooses it. We're only here once, as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment