Sunday 5 July 2015

JE-sus Christ, SU-per Star!

Now, when I say I had been to theatrical productions, and that I had volunteered at community theatre shows; you might get the impression that I KNOW SOMETHING. You couldn't be more wrong. Like our poor, brutalized Jon Snow (who I will never believe is dead, so suck on that, show creators), I KNOW NOTHING. There are approximately Eleventy billion musical theatre productions that could be on stage at any given time (I rounded up). Of those, I have seen/been a part of 10. 

Huh.

So, that makes me the new kid on the block, the one who's eyes light up when she is allowed to go backstage, the one who grins like a goof through entire performances. So, when I contacted Front Row Centre (heretofore known in this blog as FRC, because that's what they call themselves, and I am lazy) to ask if I could help out; my new buddy, Kristine with a K (because there is a Christine with a C who does Costumes) asked if I wanted to be a part of the next show, Jesus Christ Superstar.

YES, I DO/DID! So, I swallowed the ANXIETY and got Mr. 16 and Little 16 to drive me to the Beddington Community Arts Centre (because we're new to this sprawling city and I was nervous as hell). Everyone was welcoming and excited about this show, and I muddled my way through. What? You want this show to have a dirty/rock and roll vibe? I got your guy-liner right here. SPECIAL EFFECTS MAKEUP??? I'll figure out how The Lord's back will look after 39 whacks with a police baton. 

And after many sleepless nights and much stress put upon myself by myself, I DID figure it out. Then he put on his shirt and ruined all my work. EVERY NIGHT. Thanks, MB. 

I hate to rush through the description of my experiences on this show (makeup, helping with costumes because SEWING) because it makes it seem like this show was small. IT WAS NOT. I had such an amazing time, met such unbelievably great people; and I felt the true, unadulterated joy that comes from seeing your ideas come to life on the stage. I can not and could not thank everyone enough (and believe me, I tried) for letting me be a part of this little bit of heaven. But they know. AND NOW FOR PICTURES!

Where JER (my brother from another mother) and I work together to make King Herod FABULOUS! If I wasn't Unitarian, I'd be sure I was going to Hell now. 

And so it began...join us next time for more adventures!

Shan

No comments:

Post a Comment