Thursday 9 July 2015

And then there's Magz

This is a gush post, so, git ready, ladies and gents...

During a final blitz of costume sewing before JCS opened, Christine with a C introduced me to a woman who would quickly become my mentor and beloved friend, my "brother from another mother"'s mother, Magz Ross. Now, I was decidedly Team Eastgaard-Ross already (love you, J & S); but with Magz, I fell madly in platonic love! This woman has forgotten more about sewing than I could ever know, but she kindly and deftly took me under her wing. She knows what to give me that tests and challenges me, without leaving me in a sobbing pile on the floor. She befriended me and made me cut myself some all important slack when it came to my (many) mistakes. Many new mottos have become a part of how I do business, but here's LIFE SEWING LESSON #1:

Meme truth is true! Also included in meme is a dress I sewed for the next FRC production I begged to work on: the JER directed, Kristine with a K produced, ANYTHING GOES! I jumped into costume sewing with both feet for this show; and I loved every pin-pricked, hunched over, machine whirring minute! (FUN FACT: I keep track of how much time I take to make things, in my sewing journal. Total time on AG costumes? 108 hours!). I am grateful to you and love you, Magz! 

Costume design for a show is a full time job, and both Christine with a C and Magz busted their asses on their shows. The talent, effort, and skill it takes cannot be understated or underestimated. I am so grateful that they let a grade 9 Home Ec hack like myself touch the pretties! I met and learned from so many talented sewers (Kim, Darcie, Lou, Sandy, Frank, Phaedra). I hope to be sewing my fingers off for all of them as the years go on! Thank you for being great and helpful friends!

Also, if you missed out on seeing Anything Goes, I feel bad. It was fantastic! The cast sang and danced their beautifully clothed tails off! And special love goes to Megan, who actually BOUGHT the coat (which was supposed to be a jacket, but I cut the bottom part wrong) I made for her to wear in the show:
Meg and my Magz, fitting the coat!

See you next time!

Shan

1 comment:

  1. Tehe! Shannon I love you. I don't think I will ever be able to do a show again without you being involved in it somehow. I love that you are a sponge and absorb everything that I throw at you. Here's to the next one!

    ReplyDelete